A novice gardener does not even know that the cessation of the appearance of berries on the bushes does not mean the end of gardening. At a time when their favorite strawberries bloom and ripen, many summer residents try not only not to use protective preparations, but also not to disturb the site with the same weeding. But this has its harmful consequences, however, it is important to bring it to your favorite garden. Let’s see why we need care for strawberries after fruiting.
Processing strawberries after fruiting in the summer is necessary for the following purposes:
- lay the future crop;
- protection of plants against various adversities;
- maintain the health of the bushes.
Strawberries bloom and bear fruit throughout the summer, this characteristic depends on the variety. The first varieties of cultivation can bear fruit in May, later – in June, July. We should not forget about the remontant varieties that give a harvest several times. The culture blooms and brings berries early – from spring to mid-summer (June), and for this reason, its roots cannot receive the necessary substances to form large tasty berries. Harvesting is usually laid at the end of the summer season and before the onset of autumn of the past year, and after harvesting, it is very important to take care of the plant.
Strawberries after fruiting, what to do next:
- to feed.
When to prune strawberries after harvest
Post-harvest pruning of strawberries is not recommended until as late as fall. Strawberries are best pruned immediately after fruiting stops. In remontant varieties, after 2 years of life, the yield decreases quite noticeably, the berries appear less and less and become smaller. Experienced summer residents believe that it is better to remove old leaves and diseased bushes in August.
How to prune strawberries after fruiting:
- To start, carefully cut off old leaves and tendrils, if you don’t plan to leave them for bush propagation. It is best not to touch the young leaves. But if they went under the scissors, cut them too. Even if after pruning only the protruding stems remain, there is nothing to worry about. Young leaves will have time to grow before winter.
- It will be more convenient for you if you correctly select strawberries in the beds according to their fruiting dates. This can be done by looking at varieties of your plant that have the same dates between them, and grouping them into rows.
Pests that have accumulated throughout the season in old foliage can migrate to fresh leaves if strawberries are not cut in time.
Pay attention to the condition of your garden bed and don’t let bushes die – get rid of weeds between the rows. If you notice wrinkled and deformed young strawberry leaves, prepare means for the control of insect pests.
Improve the quality of garden soil
Loosen the soil carefully, as plants need oxygen. However, it is necessary to pay attention to the bushes themselves, strawberries have a superficial root system, which can be damaged by indiscretion. Sprinkle the adventitious roots with soil so that they are located under the ground.
How often should strawberries be watered for their subsequent restoration of strength and the beginning of budding buds? The crop should be irrigated infrequently after harvesting the berries, once a week is enough. The earth must be abundantly saturated with moisture in order for the bushes to come to life and gain strength.
How to feed strawberries after fruiting in July
When it comes to maintaining strawberries after fruiting, fertilizing strawberries is a must. The following supplements work well for this task:
- horse dung;
When choosing the treatment of strawberries after leaf cutting, it is not recommended to choose fertilizers containing chlorine, since strawberries do not tolerate it at all. Prepare a solution for feeding strawberries by putting 1 kg of food in 10 liters of warm water. If you don’t have these additives, chicken manure will be good food for strawberries. As a rule, one bucket of such fertilizer is enough for 8 bushes.
Another thing to fertilize strawberries after harvest is copper sulfate. You can also spray blue vitriol to keep strawberries out of trouble. This component fights misfortunes such as powdery mildew, spots and rot. It is necessary to take 2 tablespoons of copper sulfate per 10 liters of water, and it is better to spray the plants on a dry, calm day.
Natural recipes for fertilizing strawberries after harvest
Feeding strawberries with bird droppings
Bird droppings, as a rule, are sold in dry form. Therefore, before use, the concentrate is made into a liquid infusion:
- Dilute 1 part litter to 10 parts water;
- leave to infuse for 2 days;
- apply the finished product to the soil, trying not to touch the green parts of the plants;
- pour the mixture into the grooves between rows and bushes at the rate of 1 liter per bush.
In no case do not feed strawberries with dry chicken manure, otherwise, you risk burning the roots of the plants.
How to make strawberry edible from mullein
As an alternative to bird droppings, you can use mullein tea and make a great top dressing for strawberries:
- take 1 part of mullein infusion and dilute it with 10 parts of water;
- add charcoal if desired – 1 part charcoal to 10 parts mullein;
- put the mixture for a day in a warm room;
- apply up to 1 liter of fertilizer under a bush.
Mullein can also be used dry as a mulch. It is laid out in wide rows, providing strawberries with nutrients for several years. To feed strawberries after fruiting, use only rotten mullein to prevent the development of fungal diseases.
This is another good feeding option that allows strawberries to get the necessary nutrient intake. The recipe for its preparation is similar to the above:
- Dilute 1 liter of slurry in 8 liters of water;
- leave the mixture to infuse for 2 days;
- water the beds with the finished product, trying not to fall on the leaves;
- add about 1 liter of infusion under a bush.
Don’t do all three applications at the same time – choose just one, as too much nitrogen can kill plants.
Pick a Dry, Sunny Day for the Strawberry Vinaigrette
The second phase of top dressing takes place at the end of October and is carried out after leaf pruning. At this time, it is good to introduce potassium and phosphorus preparations (in dry and liquid form). Dry fertilizers have a longer positive effect, and liquid fertilizers are better absorbed, so they can be combined.
Top dressing for strawberries after fruiting from wood ash
How to feed strawberries after fruiting and pruning is ash. Ash as a fertilizer is used both in dry and diluted form.
Sprinkle the dry mix on the plant at the base to protect it from pest attacks. The liquid preparation is prepared as follows:
- Dilute 100-150 g of ashes in 10 liters of water;
- apply 0.5 liters of fertilizer under each bush.
Urea and ammonium nitrate for strawberries
These substances are rich in nitrogen, which gives strawberries a rich red color and a unique taste.
- to cook urea solution dilute 1 tbsp. the drug in 10 liters of water and add 0.5 liters of the composition under each bush;
- ammonium nitrate use in the second year of the plant’s life. Bring the dry matter into the grooves between the rows and bury it in the ground with a rake. For a plot of 10 square meters, you will need 100 g of saltpeter. You can also dilute the granules with a total weight of 25-30 g in 10 liters of water and pour the mixture under the bushes (up to 1 liter of solution for each).
You can also add 50 g of Kemira Autumn to 1 m². By following the rules for caring for strawberries after fruiting, you can enjoy large tasty berries every year.