Clematis is an unpretentious, beautifully flowering liana that will decorate any personal plot. For long and long flowering, top dressing for clematis is necessary. It runs 3 times per season: in spring, summer and autumn. Spring dressing is the most important, since the growth of side shoots, the laying of buds and the duration of flowering depend on it.
When to Feed Clematis
Top dressing of clematis is carried out 3 times a year: in early spring, during the period of budding and before preparing for winter. Each of them plays a specific role:
- spring top dressing is necessary for the formation of young shoots and the laying of flower buds, it is carried out before bud burst. To do this, use nitrogen fertilizers (bird droppings, manure or urea).
- Summer fertilizers are applied during bud formation. For this, phosphorus-potassium fertilizers are used. A mineral complex is best suited for flowering plants with low nitrogen content.
- fall Phosphorus-potassium supplementation of clematis is necessary for better cold tolerance. Nitrogen during this period is completely excluded, since nitrogen fertilizers contribute to the appearance of young shoots. Wood ash can be used as fuel.
How to feed clematis in the spring for lush flowering
For full development and abundant flowering, clematis needs nitrogen top dressing. Since, with its lack of nitrogen, the plant stops growing, the leaf plate turns yellow, young shoots weaken and often get sick.
Important! It should be remembered that overfeeding with nitrogen, as well as its lack, negatively affects clematis. An excess of nitrogen fertilizers leads to a weakening of the plant and a cessation of the laying of flower buds.
All fertilizers are divided into mineral and organic. But in order for the plant to receive a sufficient amount of nutrients, experienced flower growers recommend alternating them and making them strictly according to the instructions.
Typical mistakes that a beginner florist should remember:
- top dressing cannot be carried out during budding;
- use only the nutrient mixture that does not contain chlorine;
- you can not make fresh manure and bird droppings;
- before feeding, the circle of the trunk is cleaned of weeds;
- after applying granular fertilizers, the soil is plentifully poured;
- for each adult vine spend at least 5 liters of fertilizer, diluted strictly according to the instructions.
Important! The main care for clematis in the spring is the correct and timely application of top dressing.
Application of organic fertilizers
After winter, clematis needs nitrogen top dressing. It can be humus, humus, rotten manure or bird droppings. Manure is diluted with water in a ratio of 1:10, bird droppings – 1:15. Diluted fertilizers are left to infuse for 5 days. Fertilizers are applied after abundant watering, in the evening or in the morning. At least 8 liters are spent on each bush. If you do not observe the ratio with water, you can cause irreparable damage to clematis.
Important! The first 2 years after planting, the plant does not need nutrition.
Organic top dressing for clematis can be applied in the spring before flowering, but no more than 2 times with an interval of 2-3 weeks.
Top dressing of clematis is carried out in April and May, with an interval of 2 weeks, before bud break, when the air temperature rises to + 10 ° C. So that the minerals are quickly assimilated by the roots and penetrate in the deep layers of the soil, it is better to use fertilizers in diluted form.
If there is no bird droppings or manure at hand, they can be replaced with an infusion of herbs or yeast.
- Green manure – take 1 bucket of chopped nettle and dandelion, diluted in 30 liters of warm water. Herbal infusion is cleaned in a sunny place and insisted for 3-4 weeks. Before use, green manure is diluted with water in a ratio of 1:10.
- Feeding clematis with yeast – for 50 liters of water, take a bucket of freshly cut greens, 500 g of crackers or bread crusts and 300 g of fresh yeast. The prepared solution is infused in a warm place for about 2 days. Before use, top dressing is diluted with water in a ratio of 1:5.
Important! Yeast infusion should not be used more than 3 times per season.
After the appearance of buds, nitrogen is excluded so that the plant does not increase its green mass, but gives full strength to the formation of a large number of buds and flowering.
Application of mineral fertilizers
If there is no manure or bird droppings, and the grass has not yet grown, then in early spring a mineral dressing is introduced for growth under the clematis. To do this, use: ammophos, urea, ammonium nitrate or ammonia. Nitrogen-containing top dressing can be applied in liquid form, dissolving strictly according to the instructions, and in the form of granules. Granular fertilizers are scattered around the perimeter of the circle near the stem and spread abundantly.
For long and abundant flowering, clematis needs phosphorus and potassium. These trace elements are added depending on the flowering period. If the variety blooms in early summer, top dressing is applied in mid-May.
Important! Phosphorus-potassium fertilizers should be applied before bud formation.
As a top dressing, flower growers recommend using:
- superphosphate – can be in dry and diluted form;
- double superphosphate – quickly dissolves in water, diluted strictly according to the instructions;
- phosphate rock – the bait is suitable for acidified soils.
Advice! When choosing mineral fertilizer, it should be remembered that clematis does not tolerate excess chlorine in the soil.
With a lack of phosphorus and potassium, the peduncles will begin to darken, dry out and fall off, and the color of the blooming flowers will not correspond to the varietal characteristics.
Fertilization with lime milk
A solution with lime milk is suitable for acid soils. To prepare a nutritious infusion, dilute 150 g of extinguished lime and ½ tablespoon in 10 liters of warm water. wood ash. The resulting solution is thoroughly mixed so that no lumps remain. Top dressing is carried out strictly under the root, since if it gets into the foliage and shoots, the solution can cause a burn.
Ammonia top dressing
Clematis, like other garden plants, likes to fertilize with ammonia. To enrich the soil with nitrogen, ammonia is dissolved in water in a ratio of 1 tbsp. L. to a bucket of water. The prepared solution is easily absorbed by the root system and helps the plant quickly come out of hibernation, begin rapid growth and form buds.
When using this infusion, it is necessary to strictly observe the technology of preparation, since an excess of nitrogen can lead to adverse consequences:
- a sharp increase in green mass;
- lack of budding and flowering;
- reduced immunity to diseases and pests.
Advice! In order not to burn the root system, clematis is fertilized with ammonia in cloudy weather, in the morning or in the evening.
Foliar dressing top
Foliar feeding accelerates growth and development, bud formation and very long flowering. Thanks to this method, the plant receives the necessary minerals in a short time. As a foliar dressing, drugs such as:
- “Mortar of flowers”;
In order not to overfeed clematis, foliar top dressing is carried out 2 times a month.
Features of feeding summer clematis
In the first half of summer, most varieties of clematis begin to form buds. This moment cannot be missed, because nitrogen fertilizers must be replaced with phosphorus-potassium fertilizers. To do this, use a mineral fertilizer complex that does not contain chlorine. Since vegetables and fruits are often grown on the plot, it is better not to use chemicals, but to use folk remedies. The soil along the perimeter of the trunk circle is treated with wood ash.
In midsummer, clematis is sprayed with boric acid and potassium permanganate. This solution will not only enrich the soil with essential trace elements, but also become a good antiseptic and increase the immunity of the plant.
Advice! It is recommended to carry out such a procedure no more than once in 30 days.
In August, clematis begin to prepare for winter. To do this, the bush is abundantly poured and fed with phosphorus-potassium fertilizers. As a fertilizer, an infusion of wood ash, potassium sulfate or superphosphate is used.
Spring dressing of clematis is an important part of care. Since the growth, development, flowering and health of the plant depends on correctly applied fertilizers. Observing the rules of agrotechnics, you can admire the beauty of a flower for many years.